So Much To See & Do
Dining – from burgers to Tex-Mex to fine dining
Music – music venues and dance halls
Wineries – many with wine tasting
Hiking – enjoy the scenery and wildlife
Places of Interest In The Texas Hill Country
There are just a few of the many dining destinations in the hill country area.
- Redbud Café, Blanco: Great assortment of gourmet sandwiches, burgers, and house made bakery items. Lots of beer and wine choices.
- Hacienda El Charro: Blanco (next to the Exxon station). Fantastic Tex-Mex, cooked fresh to order. Great specials with discounts. Best enchiladas EVER.
- Blanco Bowling Club Café: Home of the “Blue Plate Special” and historic bowling alley with human pin setters!
- Oak Creek Café-Dripping Springs: On 290 going into Dripping from Vaquera on the left. The catfish is fantastic with all the trimmings, a pretty good chicken fried steak, and pinto beans that are the best we have ever tasted.
- Creek Road Restaurant: Fine dining, oysters on Tuesday, and all entries are very good! Great service to boot!
- Alamo Springs Café: “Inconveniently located in the middle of nowhere” between Fredericksburg and Comfort. Laid-back atmosphere, serious food and ice cold beer. They were on the Cover of Texas Monthly “Best Burgers in Texas ” issue (August 2009). Check out their Facebook Page-Best burgers around! Adjacent to Old Tunnel State Park.
There are many local music opportunities in the area. Here are some key locations:
- Redbud/Blanco: Musicians from the area play on Friday (6:30-9 PM) and Saturday night (7-9:30), Come on in, take a seat, make your order and enjoy the music! Note that Redbud musicians appreciate your appreciation of them through the tip jar. Let them know how much you enjoyed them!
- Luckenbach, Texas: About 25 miles west of Blanco at Luckenbach the town, which features a Post office, a hat store, concessions, and 2 music venues for small gatherings and dances. Typically, someone will be playing when you drive into town!
- Albert Dance Hall and Ice House: What is better than the Albert Icehouse if you are seeking an authentic casual Hill Country outdoor experience underneath mammoth sized oak trees? Probably the gorgeous drive down FM 1623 to get there! What a wonderful drive just to arrive at a “honkytonk/dancehall”. Live music on Wednesdays and most weekends. A gourmet food trailer is also on the grounds for music events!
- Gruene Hall, New Braunfels: Texas’ oldest dance hall, lots of music throughout the week and weekends, and cold beer! Remember the movie “Michael” with John Travolta? The dance scene in the movie was filmed at Gruene Hall…fantastic!
- Austin Music: What can we say? Grab a Chronicle from the HEB (or a million other locations) and pick your poisons. Every night of the week with some of the best music anywhere. Forget about the Top 40…these are REAL musicians!
It should not be a surprise to most of you that the winery business in Central Texas is off the chart and growing. Google “wineries” in Central Texas and take your pick. Most are with 40 minutes of Vaquera, with beautiful scenery along the way, if you care to take some Ranch Roads! Some of our favorites include Perdenales Cellars, Fat Ass Winery, Becker Vineyards, Duchman Family Winery, 4.0 Cellars to name a few. There are also many breweries and distilleries in the area including Deep Eddy Vodka!
Nature & History
Love nature and Texas history? Check these out:
- Blanco State Park
- Pedernales State Park
- Old Tunnel State Park (and Bat Preserve)
- LBJ State and National Park and LBJ Birthplace Historical Area
If you’d like to make a reservation to stay at Vaquera Sobre La Luna, it’s easy to do so online: